April 29, 2021
- Surging US inflation arguably risks spilling over to Europe amid a high degree of co-movement between them, but the relationship can break up like it did in 2005-06.
- The spillover of US reflation is likely to be incomplete, especially to the euro area, so relative price level hikes can be sustained for inflation-linked instruments, in our view.
April 26, 2021
- The SNP has used Brexit as a pretext for a second independence referendum request, but the new realities of UK-EU relations fundamentally change the debate.
- If a clear majority of MSPs elected to the new Scottish Parliament on 6 May favour independence, the perceived risk premium around indyref2 is likely to rise.
April 23, 2021
- UK retail sales rebounded by 5% m-o-m in Mar-21, recovering half of its decline since Oct-20 and beating consensus expectations. GDP has been less sensitive to lockdown on the downside so is set to rebound less in the recovery.
- Businesses have been slow to re-open with only 1.6% resuming trade in the month to 18 April and a third of the accommodation and food sector still closed. Hopes are high for the next fortnight. Rejoice - UK mobility is above the most depressed half of the world.